Volunteer With Us!
Do You Want To Help The Animals?
The Salt Lake County Animal Services Volunteer Program exists to support and enhance the goals of our shelter:
- Serve our customers
- Increase the number of shelter adoptions
- Keep our shelter animals healthy, clean, safe, and happy
- Encourage responsible pet ownership which includes licensing, spaying/neutering, and understanding the relevant local ordinances
**Volunteers must be over 18 years of age to volunteer at the shelter. Please email email@example.com for volunteer opportunities for children under the age of 18 or sign up for our Book Buddies Program, see below for details.
We are always in need of volunteers to help us at the shelter and at events in the community. On-going volunteer activities include:
- Exercising and socializing animals
- Grooming and training
To get started, please watch our Online Training Presentation.
After viewing the presentation, fill out and email the Interactive Questionnaire to our volunteer coordinator (using the link in the questionnaire) and they will contact you to set up training after you return the questionnaire.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer at the shelter.
In-person Book Buddies is back at Salt Lake County Animal Services. This is a program designed for children under 18 to come read to the cats at Animal Services, where they will get their reading minutes in, and cats will get to socialize!
*Virtual Book Buddies is on hold until Fall 2023.
How Book Buddies Works:
How it works:
- Come to Salt Lake County Animal Services, 511 W 3900 S, SLC, between 10 AM – 6 PM, Tue-Sat.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at ALL times.
- Bring a book (or 3 to read) Or read one in the cattery “library.”
- Sign in and sign out on the clipboard in the cattery. This is logged as volunteer time!
The program will help children improve their reading skills AND will help the shelter pets with socialization. Animals find the rhythmic sounds of a voice very soothing. Similar programs at other shelters across the country have seen the benefits the program has to offer.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Where is Book Buddies held? We have 4 catteries and lots of cats! Plop down in any of those rooms with the door closed.
2. Why do I need to sanitize my hands in-between rooms? Cats can easily spread germs to other cats and we try to keep everyone healthy. Feel free to use the hand sanitizer provided.
3. I'm allergic to cats, can my child read to the dogs? Unfortunately, it is not safe to read to the dogs in our kennels due to space, noise and sanitary reasons.
Are you looking for a volunteer project for your business or community group? Please consider donating your time with us! We have lots of options for groups. Please email us for more information.
There are always opportunities to help our agency, even for those who cannot work with animals. Please tell us your skillset and we will find a place for you to help. Do you have graphic design skills? Technical skills? Office skills? Let us know! We would be glad to have you as a volunteer! Here are suggested volunteer opportunities that can be completed outside of the shelter.